How will my business/venue benefit from being Breastfeeding Friendly?
The Breastfeeding Friendly Scheme is a wonderful advertisement for your business or venue. Thousands of mums, parents and families receive support from us and we’ll let them know about all the Breastfeeding Businesses/Venues listed on our website, and highlight them on our social media platforms.
Comfortable – Breastfeeding mothers and families report that they feel positive about the Breastfeeding Friendly accredited places and may choose to visit one because they feel more comfortable feeding their babies there.
Caring – Businesses/venues that support breastfeeding will be seen as caring about the community they serve. Many mothers/parents decide to unnecessarily stop breastfeeding because they feel too embarrassed or unable to feed their baby outside the house.
Recommended – These families may recommend your business/venue to friends as somewhere calm and relaxing to feed their own babies. They may also return to your business and continue to visit even when they are no longer breastfeeding.
Can we join the Breastfeeding Friendly Scheme?
You can join the Breastfeeding Friendly Scheme if you:
- Promote that breastfeeding is welcome on your premises.
- Offer support to breastfeeding families as appropriate.
- Have a written policy (we provide) supporting breastfeeding, which is communicated to all staff.
- Update staff so that they make breastfeeding mothers/parents welcome and understand their needs.
- Have excellent hygiene standards in your premises.
Will I need to provide private facilities?
A breastfeeding/family room that could be made available would be ideal, however we appreciate that not all premises have the additional space to provide this facility. We do ask that nappy changing and hand washing facilities are available, ideally on site or at least close by.
The most important thing that is needed, is creating an environment where parents feel confident in feeding their babies without the risk of criticism from staff or other customers.
How can my business/venue support breastfeeding?
- Displaying clearly the message that breastfeeding is welcome on your premises (we will provide this)
- Asking the breastfeeding mother/parent whether they require assistance and somewhere comfortable to sit.
- If private facilities are available let them know should they prefer privacy (a toilet cubicle is not appropriate)
- Defend and support breastfeeding in the event of any complaints.
Breastfeeding Friendly Welcome Pack
If you decide to sign up and become a Breastfeeding Friendly Business/Venue, you will receive a welcome pack from Breastfeeding Together with key information and promotional items. Breastfeeding Together will provide you with information, advice and support and be able to answer any questions you may have.
If you would like to sign up your business to become Breastfeeding Friendly simply click the link below or email us-